About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, December 06, 2003

House and Senate Republicans must assume they will never again be in the minority and vulnerable to payback. They are mistaken.

-- George Will, troubled by the "anything to win" mentality of those now in charge.

A two prong attack has to be made on their sentiment. (1) Showing why they themselves do not warrant such power and (2) Reminding people that our basic values (democratic and otherwise) are being violated. The lesson has to be taught in various ways, and those who voice distrust with those in power might be deemed hypocritical or results oriented, but the lesson isn't any less important because it is a hard sell.

Surprise of the Day: Stokely Carmichael grew up in my neighborhood. I recall being told that around the time I was born or thereabouts (this would be twenty years or so after he moved to this area) someone with a black wife had to basically hide the fact to get an apartment next door to me. Carmichael lived more on the outskirts of the area than I did (though he went to school where I currently vote), but he did join the area gang of the era (only black member, apparently). Times have changed, but it is interesting that I don't recall the neighborhood making a big deal about honoring his memory!

Regis Philbin also grew up nearby, though not quite in my neighborhood. There's a lesson to be learnt from those two men growing up miles apart.