About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Mail Call: Apparently, I was right to be suspicious of the El Gordo Spanish Sweepstake Lottery Company S.A. notice I got in the mail today. Apparently, it is a snail mail scam akin to the Nigeria Email Scam, one that has gotten some notice already. As someone else said, I did get a nice Spanish stamp. Also, one must respect the effort given to some of these things.

I also got my Edwards Campaign DVD, timely, I guess, since Sen. Kerry was today reported to have the delegates needed for the nomination. It is somewhat hard to flip through, but it's a good idea with a typically personal/down to earth interview, campaign commercials, a slide slow, personal message, and linkage to his website. The DVD was "free" with a $10 contribution [$35 would get you a copy of his book, also a good idea], and as noted, I used the $13 I received from a CD lawsuit payout to buy it. Kerry doesn't seem to have this sort of thing (he does have clothing and so forth) ... he should think about it. It's easier than downloading stuff off the website, a bit more personal, and is a cute little "gift" for supplying a small donation.

[Update: The middle road taken by the participants as a whole in a Nation article on outsourcing suggests a problem I had with Edwards' emphasis on trade limitations. Bit simplistic. While there, check the review on CJ Rehnquist's new book on the election of 1876; a good warning as to the limitations of "law office history" or even originalist judging as any.]

Finally, I welcome any free stuff. This includes sample music CDs to promote musicals, address labels, and catalogs trying make me spend more money. Okay, that isn't always a good thing.