About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, April 10, 2004

August Sixth Memo Surprise: I think it useful to top post the point mentioned yesterday -- the infamous 8/6/01 Memo was not really news, as I note here [nor is the Washington Post article the only mention]. Great job of amnesia guys and gals! I also reply to various attempts to explain it away, especially those who wish to ignore that in context that memo suggests the Bush Administration should have knew more than it later said it really could be expected to know. Also, my final comments in the thread defend an attack on the 9/11 Commission, which some cynically see as some useless politically corrupted redundancy.

Update: I briefly note it in the cited thread, but another word on the "it's just a historical document" argument: "But the briefing, based on intelligence gathered three months earlier, said there were various reports starting as early as 1997 and continuing till May 2001 that Bin Laden wanted to attack in the U.S. with bombs. It also said the FBI was running 70 terror-related probes on American soil." [etc. ... see linked story] The memo standing alone is not as damning as its place in context, but please, attempts to belittle it as nothing are wrong too.

---

I continually complain that I wish the Democrats could find a better candidate. My view was that the candidates had to combine into one "mega-candidate" like those cartoons where various do gooders join together to form one mega-hero. See here for a representation of sorta what I meant.