About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Primary Day



Remember when I said that the lack of real great choices at the ballot box is rather typical? Well, a typical example of New York politics is a useful case study. It has long been the case, though now we have a few exceptions, that local and state elections (toss in members of the House of Representatives) are decided in September. Actually, that gives a bit too much credit to the primary. The elections really are decided behind the scenes.

My polling place is a few blocks away in a school -- future voters are being educated as we vote; how fitting. It is illegal to electioneer within a certain amount of feet (a sign is supplied to assist you) from the polling place door. A few yards behind this spot are campaign staffers handing out handy cards entitled "Vote the Democratic Team!" [The little ovals are x-ed, though handwritten ballots require you to fill the ovals in.] This is helpful, since you'd have no idea who to vote for in many races otherwise.

I jest not. For instance, you choose five delegates and five alternates to the judicial convention. [For some reason, the accepted ten includes one guy, nine women, and the one has the same last name as the person running for State Senator. Coincidence?] Who are these people? What exactly do they do? Hell if I know, and I checked my papers and a website that helps you with local races. I didn't get a Voter Guide, and one was not available online for this year. Judicial elections tend to be a joke anyway. Likewise, I know I'm not really into local politics, but who is this "District Leader?" Oh, I know the concept, but I never heard mention of one in all the years I been around here.

I also received various literature in the mail and saw various signs (sometimes competiting candidates in the same store window). The alternatives to "the Democratic Team!" tended to be nonentities, some of whom used distasteful negative campaigning. One local paper referenced an example that suggested a candidate is responsible for elderly abuse (pathetic picture omitted here) because his law firm does some work for old age homes. The implication was he was on the front lines defending the money grubbing weasels involved. One of the accepted also had an interesting slogan on his posters -- he is the only true Democrat. Given the slender coverage local races receive, it took me awhile to determine that this meant his opposition was also on the Republican/Conservative line.

Local papers did not offer many endorsements, though one did recommend a certain person for Judge of the Civil Court. Why the person is worthy of our vote (or rather, why should judges be up to electoral office at all?) was not discussed. The papers offered two basic suggestions: the state political system is messed up, so vote against the incumbent. And, it's a shame that there is so much nepotism in the system.

The local state senate seat is vacant because its occupant is now in jail. My state assemblyman is running for it with his opposition in the primary being the "fake" Democrat and the one sending the misleading negative advertising. The daughter of a big man in city politics is running for the vacant assembly spot (be interesting for a Hispanic to represent the area, given some parts are strongly Italian), her opponent involved in some tedious negative campaigning of his own. Oh, and the opponent for the House seat supports more "moral" (religious) education, while not being able to quite accurately say why the incumbent needs to be dethroned.

So, I voted for "the Democratic Team!" with a few exceptions for some of the positions I had no idea about. I assume that I'm being a bad little voter, since there was probably some way to investigate this obscure individuals. It's my little rebellion against the system, I guess. Anyway, the State Assembly will have new blood with some nice sounding social welfare experience behind her, the State Senate will get a regular (and Democrat) who seems to be doing an ordinary job thus far, and so forth. And, one way or the other, the judicial convention will be chocked fill with women delegates this year.

Ah, democracy.