About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Four-Scored

And Also: I picked up a bio (a bit too big, but starts well) of Izzy Stone, someone I know but by reputation, and Molly Ivins had a nice blurb on the back. And, then I saw that she died. Paul Krugman has a nice column today about her, Iraq edition. I shall always think of Shrub, her prophecy of sorts of the Bush Administration. Picked up a copy at the library in Spring, 2000. Sorry, his administration should not have been THAT much of a shock to people. If, like Izzy and Molly, you did your homework. And, were not blind to what you found.


Something came up the same day, so my mind wasn't totally on it, but went to a pretty good show last night at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) ... conveniently accessible by a local subway. Never been there, but found it easily enough -- just follow the signs to the exit and ask someone going that way (just down the way, and to the right). I often see movies and shows advertised at "BAM," so it was nice to go there. And, know that if a movie (sometimes a special release) is available there that I would like, it was fairly straightforward to get there and all. Many places in NYC are like that -- the charms, truly, of the Metropolitan Transit Authority. Not bad for $2, really.

Anyway, I learnt about the show basically by You Tube. On a computer faster than mine, I have recently started to get a bit addicted to the service. I'm not really alone -- some blogs, including Atrios, now have video clips on a fairly regular basis. Anyway, I saw Suzanne Vega, or rather, a few of her songs. She does a great "Luka," with some distinctive eye glances at key points of that song about child abuse. Her website informed me that February 1 would be an appearance with three other female singers at BAM. Since the balcony seats were a reasonable $25, I decided to check it out. Sort of a final Christmas present ... recently having finished with my gift cards and all.

The show was entitled "Four-Scored," since along with an orchestra provided by BAM, the night also starred Nellie McKay, Laurie Anderson, and Joan Osborne. I like Joan's song discussing if God was one of us. I saw McKay, as I recall, on Dave -- at least on You Tube. As to LA, checked a You Tube clip, but not familiar with her work. She was okay -- electronic sort of thing, kinda artificial, but McKay (first) was great ... she was a bit goofy (were those ad libs she slipped into a couple songs?), out of breath, and assured us that she favors late comers (one couple sitting during her performance), since who wants people early? You know ... while you are still getting ready and all.

SV was good as well as was Joan (a bit bland, but looked nice), but NM was the best. She was fun. SV did not sing "Luka" -- perhaps it is not the best to sing with the Brooklyn Philharmonic (sounded good, who am I to judge?) and its "young music director" (per the blurb in the NY Daily News), but did sing "Tom's Diner." This required some audience participation (clapping and mm hmm like noises ... like many, I was not quite game, lol), so a fitting one to include. We are informed that it was not a nearby diner, but the same one used in "Seinfeld," a show that I have not watched for some time (no, I needed a break long before the Michael Richards incident). Interesting trivia.

The seat was small, but it was an end seat, and actually not bad -- they were all rather small (not quite like ants), but it was a nice view from up from the third floor. Now, yes, someone asked me the time midway thru Vega's numbers, which is annoying -- people don't like wearing watches or having pens, but darn if they need one. But, she is forgiven, partially because of basic cuteness. And, overall, again it was a nice show. Special thanks to McKay.