About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Love Letter

And Also: A few times, I took a brief break from Slate fray work. I'm due for another, I think. Still won't use that new comment system -- no formatting, threading or general area to post stuff, just articles to attach comments.


Caught the rerun of this old (1998) Hallmark film recently and enjoyed it. Based loosely on a short story [spoilers covering both], it tells of a love story through time that doesn't quite all work out the way you might think. No great surprises, but not just predictable. Leads are also good. I wanted to borrow it from the library to show to someone, but darn if the copy was not on the shelf as promised by the computer.

Still, the main branch of the Manhattan library system does have a broad selection of DVDs (fewer videocassettes), if not all shelved correctly, particularly television shows. For instance, I was able to get the full first season of Rules of Engagement (but seven episodes), which was mostly amusing. I also saw a copy of another blast from the past, Once and Again, which began in 1999. No, Sela Ward was not just in Sisters. I also got out the fairly amusing British show, The Vicar of Dibley.

I saw it once or twice on PBS; notice how there are only a few episodes over all, but stretched over a decade.