About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Change for the better: Marriage Edition


I hope same-sex marriage changes marriage itself. I hope it changes marriage the way that no-fault divorce changed it. I hope it changes marriage the way that allowing women to own their own property and seek their own credit changed marriage. I hope it changes marriage the way laws against spousal abuse and child neglect changed marriage. I hope marriage equality results in more equal marriages. I also hope it offers more opportunities for building meaningful adult lives outside of marriage. We must do more than simply integrate new groups into an old system. Let's use this moment to re-imagine marriage and marriage-free options for building families, rearing children, crafting communities, and distributing public goods.
I agree with MHP.  "Traditional marriage" has changed, as it has for centuries, and it tends to be a good thing overall.