About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, September 07, 2012

On the mail front ...


Thank you for your contribution to Mitt Romney.
Other than a "non-profit" stamp (which I didn't notice at first) that looks something like the mockin-jay from The Hunger Games, the amusing thing about my junk mail today was an envelope with the above message.  This amused me, thinking it was some mistake, but it turned out to be a gimmick from the People For The American Way about how Citizens United furthers backhanded means of donations to candidates.

Corporate money "unknowingly" will find its way, in part from profits from goods and services we purchase, somehow. Corporations under the old policy weren't prohibited from donating at all. And, whatever the excesses of the ruling, I am firmly against amending the First Amendment to address a short term jurisdictional trend.  So, no signing petitions to my senators and representative, the latter who I basically never hear from,* supporting that sort of thing.  Sorry.

Still, I enjoyed the laugh and the two pieces of scrap paper (one side of the paper, at least).  And, enjoy your work overall. Meanwhile, it's nice that I received a discount for using my own bag (though oversized breads did require theirs), the .02 seems a bit little as an incentive. 

---

* I hear a bit more from the senators, including emails from Sen. Gillibrand, and at times get material from state and local officials.

Still, it is notable that my state rep actually is getting a challenger putting in some real effort, down to a local office and promotional tee-shirts and the like ... got so bad, the rep actually sent a volunteer to my home to encourage me to vote.  I am inclined to vote for the challenger, who is still unlikely to win against the establishment incumbent gal, just for that reason.

[I actually got a local paper today and seems she actually is in real trouble, which might be why he put forth the effort.]