About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

NY Election Update

Now, we have Ryan/McConnell and Trump. That picture is from this discussion of the demonization of Nancy Pelosi.  My basic take is that I generally agree with the analysis of how good of a job she is doing. Likewise, there is no compelling need to replace her, especially without a very good option (the wannabe challenge in the past is not that).  But, I'm for an evenhanded promotion of a younger generation as a whole.

The future leader of the party (the talk is a tad overheated) won my district, Joe Crowley listed as a possible replacement (don't quite see it) of Pelosi by some.  The upset has definitely made Cuomo and Jeff Klein (state senate) extra careful to promote themselves (keep on seeing Cuomo ads during Mets games and Jeff Klein yard signs -- we don't have many yard signs in general around here generally)  vs. to be honest long shot competition. In some other state, either of those guys will do (Cuomo more so), but we are New York. In the Trump years.  So, no f-ing way.

(Both have been office for a sizable amount of time -- Cuomo for eight years, Klein for fourteen. Klein especially seems to have been there too long at this point, his IDC power anctics telling in that respect. Cuomo still probably is aiming for 2020, though he would make a horrible choice in my book there, a safe pol type that people will find reasons to dislike.)  

Jeff Klein came off smarmy during a debate with Alessandra Biaggi (whose grandfather years back was convicted of corruption), good to say her name, since there are so few yard signs around of hers. I think that matters, if a bit less than the local city council race where the final result was a few hundred votes and I do really think the establishment candidate dominating the signs in business windows (I recall like one of the second place winner in the midst of a stream of his) very well likely mattered a lot.  Anyway, I don't think Biaggi came off THAT well, came off as a bit rough.

I personally am seriously ready to support the most left leaning, new, anti-business as usual/establishment type candidate all things being equal, so it's Biaggi and Cynthia Nixon for me. Andrew Cuomo actually did do some good things, but has that unsavory insider vibe that helps the business as usual deal that helps stop NY from going the route of #Resistance ala California.  The Independent Democratic Caucus thing hurts Klein too, especially since -- this wasn't made clear in the debate -- there was at least a small window where they did directly had power to Republicans. Klein in the debate early on tossed out three Dems who were later arrested to explain starting the IDC, but what about the Republican leader he supported in that respect? Or, the rest of the Democrats that was worthy of support?  My public school teacher source also is no fan of his record on teachers.

Anyway, I rather we move on from both of them, but admit it is a longshot (more so Cuomo; Biaggi might have a bit more of a shot if the voters are ready to kick the establishment guy with issues out).  I'm not sure where to go in the Attorney General race, but might just go with Zephyr Teachout, who has the support of the Justice Democrats (the left leaning upstart coalition this year, basically) and whose ideas I like.  Her past efforts to win office, even local office, didn't go over that well.  And, at least one of her competitors probably would be a great option too.  So, that's good.

[Update: NYT endorsed Teachout and on Twitter Emily Bazelon compared her to the former public defender "outsider" Philly DA.  So, sounds like a good choice!]

There was a brief mention of the so-called "road diet" (shortening the street and adding a bike lane) plan for Morris Park Avenue, which is near me. I admit to not knowing about this until I saw a tweet about it that was a potshot at Biaggi for not properly finding out what the neighborhood wanted.  Me personally, I never thought of Morris Park as that crowded traffic-wise. I guess the construction might be a pain, but support bike lanes. Bike rentals in some areas are a great idea but the Bronx specifically is only somewhat bike friendly.  So, you know, I'm with Biaggi there too as being at least warily supportive of the idea.

[Upon thinking of it, I would need to know how it will be done. If it results in one side not being open for parking, it would cause issues. But, one lane on one side, as long as cars could still pass, would probably work.]

Meanwhile, I'm glad Nicki Minaj thinks I'm "genuine." She was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!