About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, August 01, 2021

Creation of the Humanoids

The Leonard Maltin guide (back in the day it was TV Movies; now there is a classics volume too though the original was discontinued in 2015, with the Internet and all) gave this movie a "BOMB" rating. That is unfair. It is pretty talky (the end was like ten minutes of exposition) and not exactly high budget. But, it made some interesting philosophical points (if in 1950s sci fi science talk at times) in its "the robots are taking over!" plot.

A basic guide for me when watching these movies is my ability to watch straight thru. This is a lot harder for me these days though it helps to use the DVR (like in Spaceballs, you can watch as it is still recording) and watching bits along with other things. And, I found I could here. Plus, I thought the acting decent enough and it had some interesting touches. Plus, humor, including what amounts to makeovers via death.

The "we had a nuclear war, most of humanity die; why doesn't really matter" had a "early 1960s" feel to it. Again, it was rather talky. Almost a televised play with multiple scenes largely a way to insert monologues and commentary. Which again I found interesting. I think they probably should have shaved a few minutes off the final scene unless the whole thing was meant to be truly a historical exercise! (spoiler).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!