About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, August 05, 2023

I'm On BlueSky

Chris Geidner, the legal commentator who I follow on Twitter, tweeted the other day that he had a code to Bluesky.  It's waiting list or an invite code these days. Others said they were interested but he was nice enough to give it to me (we engaged a bit tweet-wise a few times in the past and he knows me that way). 

So, I'm on.

I don't see hashtags and for now there is more limited content on the feed. I followed some of the people I followed on Twitter. Only a handful followed me back so far. A few key people (including Mets and Supreme Court reporters) do not seem to have an account or are too active (Steve Vladeck). It mostly looks like Twitter format-wise.

For those who like Twitter as a platform except for the owner and the trolls, Bluesky seems to be the best option. Some seem to like Threads but it has issues, even if the Facebook connection isn't a deal breaker. The biggest is that you can't use it on your desktop/laptop. Many do use apps on their phone but that is for me not a good way to post content, with all you have to do including typing, copying and pasting, posting saved photos, etc.

I use my phone (which still has a Twitter bird icon, haha, Chief Twit) to check on Twitter and sometimes post. But, it is a tedious way to add content, and sometimes I need stuff not on my phone.  I don't know why Meta decided to use such an app-focused approach.  Anyways, for now, I still am focused on Twitter, including when I post my own material.

I don't think many people are reading the stuff but posting so much when I have five followers seems a bit silly.  I hope Bluesky does well.  And, thanks again to Chris Geidner.  I finally subscribed (there is a free option) to his substack.  I guess I might need to get one of those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!