About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Election Day

And Also: House was pretty good today, though we seem to have yet another character, the old team hanging around as well. Seems too busy, and again, I thought the old team leaving would mean we would move on from them.


No primary for my district, but did have a few things to vote for today. Couple local judges (nomination process challenge pending), tends to be cross-nominated. Token opposition to the borough prosecutor, best known for his anti-death penalty views (death penalty suspended for few years per court challenge). At least, I knew about him ... voting for judges always seems pretty stupid to me, since who knows anything about them? And, there tends to be only token opposition.

And, a ballot measure that I only knew about when I got to the polls (lever machines on way out; need to sign book, proxies available as was poll challenge information) since no voter's guide came this year. Involving a state park, a statewide vote was required; it was a water matter important for a tiny upstate community. It passed with flying colors, but a better means -- like a significant mention in weekend papers or something -- should be available if we are asked to vote on such things. The background actually sounds a bit interesting too.

[The news this morning that I listen to mentioned "four" NJ ballot measures, including one on stem cell research, but not the NY one. It is a NYC news station after all, right? A flyer in the mail would have been useful too ... who knows, maybe it didn't get here, but one doubts it. Get with the program local pols. Of course, I could have done more research. Get with the program, local voter.]

That voter guide would have been helpful too. Still, always nice to do my citizen duties, especially when it does not involving losing money via jury duty. Never have any problems -- lines etc. -- at my local polling place, logically found in a school. Maybe, it will be a bit more messy in 2008, but no Ohio here. Still, how do they recount lever votes, anyway?