About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Kindle

I received an Amazon Kindle for Christmas and tried it out. I did not get the more expensive version (3G) but thought that free WiFi would be available (if not at home in my area). I went somewhere where free connections are apparently available, but it did not load. I will try again elsewhere. No matter. I downloaded some stuff directly from my computer and connection to the Web is not that important given the purpose of the device.

I also downloaded a copy of the instruction manual, since it is easier to move through it online than via a Kindle device, and don't know all the bells and whistles yet. But, one thing that is annoying is that there are only a limited number of ways to alter the size of the image. I don't know why they don't (cf. the simple Paint program, where I can carefully size wallpaper and such) allow you to do it by percentages. This would be helpful since though the two books I downloaded are easy enough to look at (though we are talking a small screen of text), not all the .pdf files worked out as well. A 125% view, e.g., might have worked better.

All the same, it was a useful way to download context for view away from the computer without using a laptop (though my very first computer was one, I'm not a big fan of laptops, at least finding the cursor annoying). It is in effect a mini-laptop of sorts and Kindle books are cheaper. The dictionary and search functions are useful in that respect, but there is something to a hard copy of a book (also, a book is less valuable than a Kindle, so can get wet, drop etc. without as much hardship). Also, the search function doesn't seem to search by page. A .pdf file allows you go "go to" a page as do other documents. OTOH, the first book I downloaded allowed quick back and forth from the page to the end note.

Film: Slowly -- last year it was Broadband -- I'm entering the 21st Century. A quick word as to film. This year also was my first with Netflix, though I only had it a couple months, waiting until I built up some new releases before using it again. I'm due to re-start my account next month or so. Overall, however, 2010 was not a great year in my eyes film-wise (useful to qualify that, given events). It might have been, especially by the end, better than 2009. Some, including True Grit, I have not yet seen. Not many more that will be seen, though, probably.

The year started with the disappointing Darwin flick, well expected in some parts, Creation. Agora also was disappointing, though it did somewhat of a better job highlighting an important era and turning point in the area of knowledge. Date Night was pleasant, if one wasn't too fussy about it. Cairo Time started some late year worthwhile viewing including Tangled, The King's Speech (my Academy Award favorite thus far) and Fair Game (which should get at least one nomination, perhaps for Sean Penn, maybe more likely for Naomi Watts). I again did not see some much talked about films, such as Social Network.

May '11 be a better one.