About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rev. Joe

A group of leading scientists and evangelicals have chosen to put aside their differences on how the world came to be and join forces to protect its future. They've formed a coalition and are lobbying Capitol Hill on environmental issues.
I alluded earlier to the possibilities of diverse groups, including religious, joining together on environmental matters. The above subject is topical given Earth Day. This important, especially as some stereotype religious beliefs, on various signs of the spectrum. Many liberals, e.g., don't think much of Catholics, but actual self-expressed Catholics have diverse viewpoints. The links provided earlier underline the point though I continue to be a strong opponent of much official Catholic doctrine, which seem pretty misguided in various respects, on various grounds.

One link earlier raised the point that Catholicism motivates anti-death penalty activity, though some of this is not a total opposition, but various safeguards or limitations. One person who commented, who is (let's be nice) strongly dissents from various limits on capital punishment, noted that various people on death row are "scum" and it is shameful that people (he tends to say "Democrats") help them out.  In another thread, a person called me out for criticizing the johnny one note style, saying I should be honest and admit I don't like the death penalty at all.  Well, I don't, but it is tedious to make everything about ideal societies, though this is a common trope.  We can deal with details.

[Let me as an aside deal with the "what about abortion" issue.  The state is not allowed under  the basic principles protecting freedom of choice to force women to have an abortion.  It is a personal choice.  The state is the one who executes people. Just one difference.  In one book, a Catholic raised the point; his interviewee noted that he believed an embryo was not a "person" yet.  Other differences can be stated, but there are a few who consistently oppose and wish the state to ban both.] 

Still, I will firmly say that I oppose the death penalty.  Regardless of that, I oppose calling anyone "scum," even murderers.  I don't like at some point the term or some similar one being used against neocons or justices we do strongly oppose.  These are people, not lower life forms.  There is a basic principle here.  And, it does have a religious and moral sentiment to it. I can quote the New Testament* or humanity respected by the Eighth Amendment, but it shouldn't come to that.  We can respect both sides here (Dead Man Walking shows this) and in fact even arguably do so without banning the death penalty (those who directly carry it out are often forced by reality to deal with "humans" not "scum").

This came up during the torture debates.  A basic philosophy arose here, an idea of an "other," in which on some basic level you cannot see the other person as quite like yourself, it's bad to torture, but it's not quite the same with these people.  Chris Hayes said something similar today talking about life under occupation, noting we don't need to worry about similar military night raids. One guest referenced the Taliban, but even horrible criminals don't have to deal with that and to the degree comparisons can be made, it is troubling, even there not quite being the same (no knock raids can be lethal, but still not foreign soldier). 

I can discuss views and so forth, but basic values hold too.

---

* Matthew 25:36: "I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me."

Hebrews 13:3: "Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering."