About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy

Ah New York City. In the 1970s, there was a blackout. Barely remember it. The next blackout that I had to deal with (over here in the Bronx) was in 2003. I didn't even notice it at first, since I was outside and it was in the middle of the day. It ended the next day. In between, of course, was 9/11. I took a train from mid-town late that afternoon. Since then, I had to take a bus in from a neighboring county because weather conditions shutdown the overhead train for part of a day. Minor inconvenience.

Sandy shutdown the transit system Sunday night. Buses were running early evening Tuesday (free of charge temporarily; I saw a few today) and train service began today (limited subway service will start again tomorrow). Schools were closed for three days. I went to public school for a portion of my years. I don't remember a single snow day. Three days?  The libraries were closed for three (many are due open tomorrow). Again, I don't remember the system as a whole EVER being closed, though certain library branches might have been closed, for even a day. 

And, I lost power for two days.  Given how bad things have gotten in NY and NJ, this is fairly trivial.  These things sometimes are announced and nothing comes of them.  It was windy Monday morning when I went to the bank (I had to go a bit further, the local one closed), but nothing much seemed to happen immediately for much of the day.  Things were getting bad elsewhere, showing some cause for the scary alarm Gov. Christie (Obama's new bromance buddy) and Mayor Bloomberg (and his sign language interpreter, except for his fake sounding Spanish summaries) set off as the Jets was stinking Sunday afternoon.  Still, here it seemed okay.

It really was.  There was no flooding in the basement, trees around here took it worse in other storms and chunks of the area didn't lose power.  Actually, and this sort of annoyed me, two blocks away had power.  I felt like it was some sort of sci-fi movies where you cross some barrier and oooh look it's the 19th Century.  Did have a gas stove.  There was a big bang in the middle of the MNF game and then the power went out.  Survived.  Used that walkman (remember them?), flashlight and even some candles.  Took those cold showers.  Was annoyed people near me had power.  Listened to the devastation in other areas.  Had perspective.

To pass the time, I listened to the local sports radio station, which has a large audience from various areas more affected than I (no close family were in those areas), so the storm was a major theme.  Personally, it got to be a bit much, but understand the need to talk and vent.  Major upset that at first they were going to have a Nets game in their new stadium in the NYC, which would be a problem to get to given the transit situation.  Latest thing was that the marathon is still on for Sunday.  I'm not as upset about that as others -- I think things will be okay enough by then.  It is a major diversion and the personnel can be handled for the day.  If the route is a problem, wouldn't they cancel it?  If subways can run, that can go on.

The key sports guy noted that Obama should have things locked up now, that Romney's main man Christie is palsy-wallsy with Obama now and it's a chance for Obama to look presidential and it would make Romney look like  a tool to criticize him.  I was flipping thru the radio and passed Rush and caught him dissing Obama.  You know -- it's like sports, it is like things are all normal or something.  It isn't really.  Talk of billions of dollars.  People in other parts of the metro area out of power for more, others lost their homes.  No, this isn't Florida or Louisiana.  Still, there is a sense of normalcy.  Even with this, after a few days, the city is starting to normalize.  Wall Street was trading today.  The art museum was open.  There was trick and treating.  Life goes on.

And, the Supreme Court was back with the dog sniff cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!