About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Primary Day

People are already talking about 2020 but first let us deal with 2017. There is after all various national and state races going on.

It is time for New York City elections.  Though the NY Daily News doesn't like him (recently sold; the editorial board made clear to note they were upset he had no serious competition yesterday), the mayor has a lot to be proud about.  The ID card alone is impressive.  He received about 3/4 of the votes.  I gave Robert Gangi, the lefty dreamer sort in the race, one of his few votes.  But, hey, more power to you big guy.

The other races did not have much competition in general. The Brooklyn DA, who replaced a newcomer who died, got some serious competition but won comfortably.  The comptroller had to competition. The public advocate won comfortably.  The main battles were a few council races, including my own -- the lucky 13th.  To me, the wrong person won, the one with a job already (state assembly), who (he says its for the public service) I think was influenced by the pay raise (which is a bit backward). 

The article above notes: "Marjorie Velazquez, a district leader who had the support of Vacca (incumbent) and Mark-Viverito (outgoing city council speaker, may get a second, more difficult shot in November on the Working Families Party line." You'd think such support would get you the job, but the winner seems to have had support of many party leaders including one who is a leader of the faction that caucuses with the Republicans in the state senate (that alone pisses me off).  I kept on seeing his damn campaign sign in store windows and even two big freestanding signs on primary day.  In the same long row of stores, I caught a single of one her signs.  We are not talking a lot of money either.
Mark Gjonaj: 38.6%
Marjorie Velazquez: 34.4%
John Doyle: 19.1%
Victor Ortiz: 4.8%
Egidio Sementilli: 3.0%
The NY Daily News supported Doyle. I thought that this was in effect a good result because of some forty percent threshold to prevent a runoff.  de Blasio, e.g., avoided one the first time around by a fraction of a percent.  But, apparently it does not work that way.  Anyway, with all that money and face recognition (after all, he is the state assemblyman of the district, which I guess means if he wins in November that I'll have to vote for a new one), the fact he won by what amounted to a few hundred votes is not surprising.  If a tad depressing.  I particularly do not like people resigning from their seats for reasons other than something like appointment as a member of the Cabinet.  Going down one level and denying someone else the position is to me both unfair and not appropriate. Serve out the term you were voted to fill. 

If she is not running on that line in November, I will vote for whomever is or write in someone.  He got my vote for assembly.  There will also be ballot measures. Oh well. Got my sticker.

[Found this coverage. Can you be more depressing?]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!