About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, August 05, 2022

The Tao of Pooh

For some reason, after some update, my online social media (Twitter, blog, Facebook) now has is four hours ahead. Benjamin Hoff's The Tao of Pooh, a book I somehow obtained some years back, probably would suggest that I not worry about it. Just letting things be seems to be a basic philosophy of the little volume.  Not quite my philosophy though there is a side of me that settles for what life give me, for good or ill.  

I was the a reader of Winnie the Pooh as a child.  Actually, I was not a big reader of fiction at all as a child.  I'm not sure if this is as atypical as it might seen though perhaps the fact I also did not watch Sesame Street or any such educational television (did watch Saturday Morning cartoons) is notable on top of that.  I still am not a big fiction reader though I have my moments.  I also managed to read a decent number of "classic" fiction.

Taoism is named after "The Way" (a standard label; we also hear of that in the Acts of the Apostles)  -- I'm starting to summarize the book now -- and concerns having harmony with the true nature of existence. The idea here is that Winnie the Pooh (those rights weren't cheap btw) fits the bill.  He does fret or pontificate or hesitate like his Pooh friends. He lets things be. 

("Tao" itself concerns the basic stuff of the universe, a sort of force that the followers of the religion try to stay in harmony with. So I understand.  I think you get in trouble when you get too literal about the specifics here. The basic core idea might be right.)

Things in their original simplicity is the concept of the "uncarved block." If we accept what things are, their place and function in nature, we can be content.  This brings up the "wu wei" principle -- "without doing, causing, or making."  Letting the natural order of things take its course without resistance.  A simplicity, a childish simplicity, is a good thing here.

The author counsels against thinking too hard. Let your intuition take over.  Clear away unnecessary brush.  Do not try so hard to fill your days just to be busy and get ahead for the sake of getting ahead.  (Self-improvement on the inside is more his speed.) This often gets you the success you need, the answer often being found almost by accident. 

The book suggests that he is mixing in some of his own philosophy in his promotion of Taoism.  Nonetheless, all religion and philosophy (Eastern religion to me tends to overlap here more than monotheism) will have some of that mixed in anyway.  One chapter speaks of the importance of caring and compassion. Like knowledge and wisdom, this can be confused with pretending to help or trying to do so in a misguided way.

And, appreciating who you are, which is says is the role to contentment.  Sometimes, you might need to change, but often the best approach is to see the benefit of what you have.  And/or to use it to your advantage.  Completely changing things is the hardest and often not sensible.  

I probably should try to read more about other religions, including Eastern religions, though philosophy often doesn't really appeal to me. There are basic things I think are important. We then get into some at times confusing specifics.  Things like Taoism and Buddhism seems to have that sort of thing, though there is a philosophy of life mixed in that appears worthwhile.

This little book (there is a sequel that was somewhat appreciated too) from the 1980s was a best seller.  I can see why.  It has some nice things in it as well as making you thinking using a creative approach.  The book also has a somewhat quirky tone.  And, there were comparable approaches, such as a longer book that used motorcycles to teach about zen theory. 

[The author sounds like a bit of a character and as recently as earlier this year the author flagged problems with publishers.]

===

Meanwhile, I also skimmed the Bridge to Terabithia, which I first read some time ago (I recall reading the book first before seeing the 2007 film). It still has charm and the ending hits you, just how Aristotle said in ancient times drama will give you catharsis. 

The 2007 film was a bit too pretty (the music teacher was a good choice though) in my view.  It was decent enough, though it needed some more grit, including a more tomboy-ish Leslie. The same actress later played a young Carrie from Sex in the City! Various familiar faces including child actress Bailee Madison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!