About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, August 12, 2023

Book and Film

A local library had a display of books about books.

One book that I checked out was not for me.  The graphic novel Book Love, however, was very enjoyable.  The author's representation of herself is very cute.  She has some others, including one examining her troubles with depression and the beginning of her marriage.  They each have charms but the book one is the best in my view.  Good for a book lover!


History Is Made At Night was on television recently but I missed it.  The library had a DVD with various extras (mostly about the director).  

It turns out that the director has many films, but this one is particularly deemed a classic.  Jean Arthur (more known for her comedies) and Charles Boyer star.  Colin Clive (best known for being Dr. Frankenstein) plays a really f-ed up guy.  The actor died shortly afterward.  

I think Charles Boyer is the true star of this picture.  Jean Arthur plays his love interest, ever trying to escape a dangerous and unhinged husband.  But, Boyer controls his fate throughout, including (after falling in love with her practically at first sight) dropping everything to go to America to chase after her.  Arthur is good but her character has a lot less agency.

The film has some very romantic aspects.  The problem for me is that the whole thing is so over the top.  Boyer chasing after her and then being able to suddenly (with his friend, a chef) take over an American restaurant suggests the movie-level escapism of this whole effort.  And, the husband is so unhinged, in the end, willing to have a ship sink to get his revenge.  

If this quality is okay (not for me last night), check out the film.

==

The director of The Exorcist and The French Connection recently died.  Reminder again that people do die.  I know the passage of an era (such as a musician who died recently) of sorts has sad aspects.  But, "Oh god! can't believe this!" when someone in their 80s dies to me is a bit much.  

I saw the former film in the theater some years back, perhaps a 30-year anniversary or some such thing.  I thought it had too much exposition.  From what I can tell watching parts of the latter, it also to me comes off as a lot of style, but still somewhat overrated.  I enjoyed the director's Killing Joe lark and the silliness of The Guardian (not that one!) more.  

Gay USA mainly addressed Cruising, which they labeled a homophobic effort, and his earlier work filming The Boys in the Band, an early play (if with a negative plot) examining gay issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!