About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Politics: Though I admit it looks bad, I still respect Dean for various things that got him in trouble. This led to a back and forth with me and someone who doesn't care for Dean, the third time things got a bit heated in such discussions. Okay, I upset supporters of three different candidates, not counting Bush and Lieberman. Next I shall deal with religion. Anyway, lol, I analyze the recent New Hampshire Debate here. I also got a few interesting questions when I asked about the weaknesses of one's favorite candidate.

Movie: I saw an interesting, if flawed movie tonight entitled Made-Up. It concerns a woman who presses her sister to take part in a college film, first involving a makeover (thus, body image is one theme), but broadening out into various unexpected directions as she tries to make something exciting. The movie itself is a family effort, directed by Tony Shalhoub (his directing debut; also seen in Monk and Wings; he also played an amusing role as a restaurant owner/aspiring actor), written by his sister-in-law (who also co-starred as the sister), starring his wife (Brooke Adams), filmed at a family home, and involving other family members in various roles. It is an episodic film that deals with various family dynamics as well as being a satire of amateur film making. I didn't quite like the ending and felt it fell apart a bit toward the end, but it was amusing and different. Worth checking out if it comes to your area.

I got a chance to see the cast in person after the show. Tony Shalhoub came off the best ... for someone whose first main role was the stereotypical taxi driver on Wings, he has a lot to offer. His direction and low key performance was two of the best things about the movie. The daughter, no relation, also was quite good. And what a name -- Light Eternity!