About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Thursday, January 08, 2004

Update: I noted below that I find it a bit sad that the state of the economy will play such a large part in the opposition's ability to challenge the President in November (yes, the year is upon us). This led to an interesting discussion on the economic matters and the current frontrunner of that opposition. Interesting stuff.

Animals: Read an interesting little piece on how pet custody is a growth issue in divorce proceedings. This is part of a commendable trend in which pets (and animals per se) are not seen as mere property. For instance, I noted a while back that a recent court decision treated them as "effects" for Fourth Amendment purposes. Overall, I believe animals are at least "quasi-persons" that deserve our respect, partly because it is in our very interest to do so. [Though it's not why, one way to explain my vegetarianism to the doubtful is to refer to the health benefits. These people need not know I'm not exactly that health conscious overall.] One essay I wrote on the issue can be found here. It includes mention of the recent trend of better treatment of animals raised for fast food.

Politics: My review of Winning Modern Wars [I was impressed] can be found here. I got notice that my reserve for Molly Ivins' Bushwacked book has come in, so that will be discussed eventually. Following my resolution to focus on politics in my reading material as my state's primary approaches, I also plan to read John Edwards' Four Trials and Howard Dean's autobiography. It is useful that these books tend to be quick reading. The New Republic has a some interesting pieces on why you should choose a particular candidate, though the Lieberman piece in my view (though it has some good points) misrepresents some things. You decide.