About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, March 05, 2004

Owner v. Guardian (and Passion v. Contemplation): When I first responded to an article discussing how the move to replace the word pet (companion animal ) "owner" with "guardian" is a reflection of our anthromorphising of animals, I let my passions get away with me a bit. [For instance, the post implies the author doesn't think animals are moral objects, which is not fair.] It's a occupational hazard for those who frequent message boards, though I think there is a certain truth that comes out all the same. I provide it as an example in all its unedited glory. Lol. Still, if only they had a delete function!

Besides, I think I ended up with my underlining principle coming through: pets are not mere things, they are complex thinking beings that require us to have certain moral obligations that in some sense do make them a sort of "person." And, though labels have theirs limits, "guardian" does suggest what is at stake. You "own" a television set; perhaps you should do more than "own" a dog. Finally, the author does try to prove too much by implying society's humanizing of animals (again, I think he exaggerates for effect) was somehow a recent development or that on some level it was largely a bad one. I think not, and very few, even those who he is directly disputing truly equalize humans with animals. My annoyance therefore had more than a core of truth.

The fact I was guilty a bit as well doesn't save him, especially since he had more time to contemplate things. And, got a stipend for his efforts!

---

Under The Tuscan Sun: I recently watched this movie on DVD, having already seen it in the theater. The reason was largely because it has an audio commentary (by the director/screenwriter) track, which I consistently find quite interesting. Not only does watching the film without the original audio provide a new look, but the commentary allows you to hear a behind the scenes discussion that supplies an additional level to the film experience.

The director/screenwriter does a good job here, and it is specifically valuable in this case because it helps you better respect the complexities of a film that is on some level a predictable story of a divorced woman getting over heartache by buying a villa in Tuscany. All the same, it is much more than that, though Diane Lane and the scenery alone make it worth watching. As the commentary notes, the Diane Lane storyline was being developed already when the director read the book, and the book served mainly as useful scenery and metaphor.

While at the video store, I also passed Soldier's Girl, which is based on a true story. A tragic love story with some "behind the scenes" commentary supplied on the DVD. The makeup featurette just might surprise you. I also saw that the School of Rock DVD has a commentary track with Jack Black, and given his style and performance at the Academy Awards (one of the few things after the opening worth watching), I'm looking forward to listening to that too!