About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, March 10, 2004


Well, I'm pretty forceful in expressing my opposition to the Bush administration. And there is a certain danger, which I actually turned into almost reality, that because I consider the policies extremist, that I myself become an extremist. And that actually -- if that happens, then I have failed because I think that I am -- I believe in an open society ["nobody has -- is in possession of the truth, and therefore you need a critical process"], I recognize that I may be wrong -- and in fact, I'm admitting that I may actually be actively wrong by being so rabid -- but I feel that I have to state my view in a very straightforward -- and I feel passionately about it.

-- George Soros



One of those moments: A day is truly worth living if there is at least one truly amusing, thought provoking, or deep moment special to it -- hopefully all of the above. An example occurred as I was on the subway coming home today. On the way out, I heard someone tell her someone who asked her occupation that she was in marketing ... for Philip Morris. "Philip Morris?" Yes, Philip Morris. This led me to think, as I trudged through the teeming masses, of various follow-ups ... "You know, I help market cancer, and so forth." Oh, did I say that a twisted sense of humor is a must, as well? Just a few pearls of wisdom I supply free of charge.

---

More on Martha: Celebrity Justice is generally atypical justice, but it does provide some insights into the general activities of the system itself. An article that looks at the sentencing procedure using Martha Stewart a guide (the article assumes she will get a higher sentence than many other sources) is such an example. Not only do we learn that very few actually win on appeal (a tiny amount get a full acquittal at the end of the day), but some of the troubling principles applied. For instance, there is the well known principle that even if you later show remorse, using your constitutional right to a trial (including if there is a decent chance for a lesser sentence or even an acquittal) will get you in trouble. Less well known is that even elements of the "crime" not proven beyond a reasonable doubt very well might be weighed in sentencing. And, often quite constitutionally so.

More on the intricacies and pratfalls of criminal appeals.