About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

Quick Bits

Laugh or Cry: The day the Mets obtained two starting pitchers, they lost 3-1. Newly obtained Kris Benson started the next day instead of Matt Ginter, pitched five innings of seven run ball, and was relieved by Ginter. Benson gave up seven hits (two to the starting pitcher, an ex-AL arm with an .088 average). The final was 8-0, which Ginter could have managed, and Ty Wigginton would still be here. Sigh. He does have a nice looking piece of eye candy for a wife, who supports a pro-life Republican member of Congress with the same name as the woman who portrayed Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.


Stats: According to my stats, I am getting a lot of hits from a picture of Andrea Parker (Less Than Perfect and previously The Pretender), including some from "Central Europe" (foreign language provided along with broken link information). A couple times, there is even some evidence the visitor staid to check out my site. Also, I noticed a "blocked referrer" coming out of "Central and South America" via "metropolis-inter.com ? (Commercial)." Likewise, I noticed a couple recent visits from "Russian Federation Zone 4," visits that appear to be long enough that the person is actually reading my material. I welcome all foreign visitors to Joe's Eclectic Thoughts, no matter why you came here, and feel free to supply feedback!

Baseball: The Mets picked up a couple young (29) middle of the road starters for some choice prospects and Ty Wiggington, namely Kris Benson and Victor Zambrano. These "picks for the future" reinforces the starting rotation (back-end questionable) and provides arms for years to come. Though Benson is sometimes thought of as an "ace," I think it is useful not to overrate these guys, especially given the Mets track record. Zambrano has some problems, but is a pretty good pitcher, and inning eaters are useful to this team.

I do fear, as I said before, that without better offense and defense (and probably another relief arm), the team really isn't much better with such additions. Starting pitching has not quite been the teams downfall. I wonder if Jae Sao, now an extra, is worth anything on the trade market.

Kerry: A few found fault on his delivery on Thursday. Fair enough criticism, but I don't think crushing. Others on some lack of specifics. Again, I think he needs to leave his options option ala FDR, and the comparison is somewhat apt if we hope for a new beginning for the party. Finally, one speech shouldn't be given too much emphasis. I don't care for it when it is applied to Bush, and I don't care for it overall.