About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Choices Choices Choices!

Legal Tidbits: Judge Alito's past involvement with a conservative organization against women in universities that Bill Frist felt a bridge too far in the 1970s (though not open to comment today) is discussed here. An interesting essay on the true breadth of pardons, including all the factors that should be considered, is found here.


Slate recently had an article, which I did not read (but another one like it was in a past issue) wondering if we have too many choices. For instance, it has been noted that the new Medicare Drug Benefit is just too darn confusing in part because there are so many plans to pick from. We just do not have the time or ability to figure out what one of so many options to pick from. Thus, our choices tend to be somewhat arbitrary, and people are overwhelmed in the process.

The number of choices can be misleading -- we have a lot of dreck out there as I discover when I want to find something to watch before going to sleep. Likewise, there are surely many candidates out there, few often are that promising in the "I want these people to govern me" sort of way. But, surely, choice is a good thing in many ways. It is what freedom and plenty is all about! Surely. I like shopping in those big supermarkets, not only because they give me more vegetarian choices. Choice can be good.

And, at least in certain situations, it allows one to specialize and be choosey. Take take out Chinese. One thing that is quite prevalent in my area is take out Chinese places (few actual restaurants -- one that the family liked actually closed down a year or so ago). I even have one at the corner. But, being something of a fussy sort (I guess), they are not all created equal. For one thing, they do not all have certain foods I like, and do not all make it the same way. Also, and the one nearest to me also has this problem, some have customer service issues. So, there are fewer places than first meets the eye.

But, choice can run riot. It's one reason why we don't have a million and one parties, or at least, why only two mainly control things. It's also why if we do have so many choices, there must be ways to classify them in such a way to ease final decisionmaking. Take tv shows -- I know there are now and again movies and such on the tube that I want to see but do not since I do not go through all the darn shows that are on. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. But, highlights, breakdowns by type, and first shown on t.v. listings help. Only up to a point, but still.

For instance, as to health care -- some sort of easy to read grid, helpful customer service availability, and "favored plan" listings might help. But, still, so would simplified plans ... as one writer noted, one reason against privatized Social Security is that we just do not want one more thing to have to worry about. Choices can overwhelm.

Closing Note: Is the increase in the number of debt management advertisements some sort of leading indicator? If nothing else, they are annoying me. One reason is the inherent falsity: a major problem with debt often is the inability to pay. All this talk of ending debt is nice, but moving it around (not free of charge, of course) is pointless if one does not have a means to pay.

I also do not like those drug ads and those pretentious IBM commercials, which seem to dominate Sunday football ad blocks, but that's another issue.