About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Various Tidbits

And Also: I happened by chance to discover that I actually sorta know a candidate running for civil court judge (the voter picks two of four choices; other than their sex/party [and online, their addresses], few will know who to pick). Don't really know if he would be a good judge, but generally seems to be a nice guy and has the experience (including going to law school while working full time as a court official) suggesting it would be a good choice. At least, I'll know a bit more about my choice this time. Sheesh: the voter guide I received in the mail did not even list the candidates for this office. Such a joke having us voting for judges.


Went to the library recently, and said: "need to take my mind off politics and legal matters!" So, what do I do, but take out a book about America's Disappeared: Secret Imprisonment, Detainees, And The "War On Terror", which includes some personal accounts. Depressing, hard hitting book. And, with the Washington Post article about secret foreign interrogation camps and Cheney not wanting to end the practice (you know, since it's his call, and all), I guess it's timely. Actually, I saw the book before, but dealt with less depressing matters ... like, teenage Jewish refugees during WWII.

I did catch the WB show Related tonight -- not bad, you know, for a chick show. Seriously, as one review noted, the best character is the youngest -- a wet behind the ears college co-ed who shifted from pre-med to acting. Continue to be addicted to DaVinci's Inquest, the Canadian show that airs on WGN (Chicago), which is part of my package. Also, caught another DI sighting on a t.v. movie, another small part. Just love those sightings! Lol.

Btw, in response to a question, I discovered Scalia was the first Italian-American nominee ... Alito is the second. Since none of the failed nominees were Italian, this means there were two such nominees. A bit striking actually. OTOH, Roger Taney was the first Roman Catholic.