About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Boob Alert

And Also: I caught Judge "I'm smarter than you" Posner testifying in front of Congress along with John "King George" Yoo and a retired British MI-5 (domestic intelligence office which Posner supports). Is this really a good idea? I think judges should stick with judging, not get into policy debates in this fashion. Some Pledge BS. Finally, just to remind, the Senate Republican detainee treatment alternative is not really a good bill either. Oh, win already. You know who.


Democracy Now -- which I switch on now and then though I should watch it more consistently -- had someone on to talk about the recently deceased Ann Richards. Her humor was focused upon, but it was noted that she worked for Sarah Weddington's (yes, of Roe v. Wade fame ... anyone remember her original co-counsel? yes, Linda Coffee) legislative campaign. While fighting for abortion rights, she decided to run for the Texas legislature to protect them. The interview also noted that perhaps the best thing AR did as governor was to help drug addicts in prison, something the guest noted was no longer really being done these days. Molly Ivins can tell you about how Texas Republicans are loathe to spend tax dollars for the general welfare.

Talking about feminists, Ann Althouse put her foot in her mouth again by commenting on the breasts of the twenty-something blogger in this photo. (Clinton met with liberal bloggers of late -- I did not get an invitation). For a short period of time, I actually had her in my blogroll. I temporarily found it a fairly rational light take with a right of center flavor that I try now and again sample. Soon enough, her inanity came out, as recently seen in a NYT editorial bashed here and elsewhere. As usual, LGM has some interesting comments, including in the comments. [Other bloggers sometimes stop by, which is a good sign of good writing.] One comment stood out:
As one of the bloggers in the photo -- first off, we arranged ourselves, and rather quickly and haphazardly; nobody placed us where we stood. We mostly just tried to get the shorter people in front. I might add that those who got in the center were the ones who could move quickly. I might have been in the center were it not for the osteoarthritis.

I sat next to Jessica for two hours during the meeting without noticing Jessica's breasts, although I rarely notice other women's breasts. I have enough trouble managing my own. The fact is that if one has prominent breasts there's not a whole lot one can do to prevent some people from paying a disproportionate amount of attention to them, short of wrapping oneself with duct tape or wearing a burkqua.

Anyone who is endowed with C-cup boobs or better respects this. That Althouse does not might lead us into speculation about Ms. Althouse's physical attributes. Let us be clear: Althouse is not criticizing Jessica because of how Jessica is dressed. The fact is that Jessica is being slammed for wearing a knit top that would be downright demur on a flat-chested woman.

Gravity and time bring us all down eventually -- and I mean that literally -- and wardrobe choices change accordingly. I say let's not hassle young women for wearing form-fitting clothes while they still look good in them! There's nothing wrong with being healthy and attractive and female.

Or, as another blogger noted, it is rather hard for women with larger breasts to totally hide them unless they cut them off [meanwhile, Becker last night involved a male to female transsexual] -- and though she is a brunette and situated somewhat in front of Clinton (yeah, Monica joke alert), she is not chubby. So, it apparently doesn't take much to make snide comments. [I'd add that I always found it distasteful how the criticism of Clinton often was of the "you could have done better" variety ... yeah, such people are who I want to go for moral judgments.]

As a guy, I must admit that I take notice of breasts. So it goes. Snide comments like these underline what women have to deal with on a daily basis. As the women in question noted in the LGM comments -- "I'm losing my mind over this shit..." It also brings to mind how poorly various groups are represented in the national debate these days. I'm sure there can be better ones than the Clintons (the comments and a follow-up post discuss the point), but how about a party and President that consistently defends interests of women, minorities, and so forth? Instead, we join together with "islamofascists" to oppose international moves toward family planning, and watch how a significant minority of Congress support anti-gay amendments to the Constitution. How very depressing.

Anyway, for someone nice on the eyes and brain, check out here. And, there is nothing wrong about that.