About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Michael Richards Commentary

And Also: Lol. Not a good football day for NY ... even KC winning hurt the Jets' longshot chances. Oh well.


A couple interesting takes on the Michael Richards apology with some responses respecting one as well. The replies are pretty interesting, but I retain overall respect for the column, which reflects my thoughts of the writer generally. I retain my thought that there are different shades of racism, some worse than others. It's a ugly game to play but please -- if I call you "x" is it the same as if I scream it at your kids or in a public arena for all to hear? If I do racist things repeatedly, or promote it in some fashion as a private/public program? Still, clearly the view of the person involved is key, and adds to the complexity of judging such cases. This very well, of course, might add blinders to the judgment.

Also, in response to another post commenting on a Dahlia Lithwick piece on forgiveness (MR is so timely!), I added: "Forgiveness comes from further actions and time. And, ultimate belief in the person involved. Apologies basically have to be done, even if it's theater, but they can make things worse, huh?" I meant here public officials in particular, but it often applies across the board. Still, apologies often are non-verbal ... the "action speaks louder than words" theme is quite true. And, this is why some bad acts are quite different than others -- they cannot be taken in a vacuum. I got in trouble for allegedly suggesting this is a partisan issue, but taken the theme neutrally, that is my ultimate message here.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving all. BTW, you don't need to be a vegetarian to see the stupidity of this "pardon a turkey" tradition done by the President. [The perversity was suggested by a West Wing episode, where CJ or Donna had two pick one of two turkeys for the honor. The President refused to go thru with a charade to actually try to imply to a young handler that he really had the power to pardon a turkey.] Still, given his tendencies, it is good to allow Bush to pardon some creature destined to die.

Go Tampa!