About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Odds and Ends

And Also: "Just how many different ways has the Bush Administration tried to hide once-public information sources from the public record? Help us count the ways." Reminds me of my posts around this time of year about how they selectively edited scientific reports.


I have noted that Luanne on King of the Hill (Texas family) is a charming character. She is a slightly naive niece of Peggy Hill, who went to live with the family when her mother was convicted of attacking a man with a screwdriver or whatnot. But, besides being cute (yes, she is a cartoon character, but she has that Daisy Duke look down pat, and not the movie version), Luanne is deep down a levelheaded sort, who even Hank realizes is something of a kindred spirit. I bring that matter up because Renée Zellweger was on David Letterman yesterday, and darn if she sounds just look her. Not just the accent (she hails from Texas too, the actual voice from Georgia), but the babyish inflection. Uncanny. Oh, and the late episode of the show on last night was focused on L. too. Fitting.

Talking about somewhat cutesy looking/sounding sorts, a tidbit in the paper called to mind Julia Sweeney, who was referenced here a few times for her "letting go of God" efforts. She also has a monologue, "In The Family Way," about her adopting a baby girl from China (Tara Mulan), honestly, a mixed effort. [The monologue, not the adoption.*] Sweeney notes that many adopted from China because of their more lax rules, including no need to be married (they do worry about you being gay). Turns out, however, the rules are a bit stricter now -- the blurb in my paper noted that a recent upswing of adoptions helped push the country to alter the rules, including not letting those unmarried to adopt.

[The NY Daily News blurb also lists those who are obese, over 50, or who take antidepressants.]

On the Xmas front, I went yesterday to pick up the three gifts that I thought were on their way via catalog order. One was a regular -- English toffee. Luckily, I recently passed by a box when checking out a store while killing time before a movie. Hopefully, it is of similar quality. Other replacement options showed themselves as well. Likewise, I was able to pick up a Christmas themed book from the library per personal request, which is fair, since the person also found a book requested by moi. This means that I probably have only one little thing to pick up, which I shall do on Saturday, to leave something open.

Given the timing, Christmas wrapping also might not go quite on schedule. Given how things will work out, it probably will be done on the 23rd, unlike the usual early 24th handling of things. Oh well.

---

* TM is a cutie, much like another Tara that I know. She was there when her mom was holding court after the "Letting Go Of God" show that I went to a couple months back. Another cute Chinese girl was hanging around when I went to get my Chinese food yesterday. This is a takeout place that for some reason sent a stamped envelope out to my address (no name) with a menu. Pretty good General Tso Tofu.