About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Go Chicks!

And Also: Slate had a piece on how the public is turning against the death penalty as the Supreme Court might be going the other way. My .02. Zoe Heller's novel What Was She Thinking? [Notes on a Scandal], the basis of the Oscar nominated film, was rather good. I'm not sure how much you are supposed to sympathize with the narrator (the older teacher), but I did.


A nod to the winners of the Grammy Award for Best Country Album:
I'm not ready to make nice,
I'm not ready to back down,
I'm still mad as hell
And I don't have time
To go round and round and round
It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
Cause I'm mad as hell
Can't bring myself to do what it is
You think I should

I know you said
Why can't you just get over it,
It turned my whole world around
and i kind of like it.


Natalie Maines' latest hair style is pretty nice too. Check out Shut Up and Sing! and their videos on YouTube. "Goodbye Earl" is particularly amusing. Actually, though I saw them win the country music award, their success was much more complete than that, winning each category for which they were nominated:
After death threats, boycotts and a cold shoulder from mainstream country radio, the Dixie Chicks gained sweet vindication Sunday night at the 49th annual Grammy Awards, capturing honors in all five of the categories in which they were nominated...

The Dixie Chicks took home Grammys for the top three awards: record, song and album of the year. Their "Taking the Long Way" (Open Wide/Columbia) won best country album and "Not Ready to Make Nice" also captured best country performance by a duo or group with vocal. That song is an unapologetic response to the furor set off in 2003 when the band’s lead singer, Natalie Maines, made an off-the-cuff antiwar remark to London concertgoers: "Just so you know, we’re ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

But Sunday’s awards were the Recording Academy’s rejoinder to the country music radio establishment. Accepting the award for song of the year, Ms. Maines joked, "For the first time in my life, I’m speechless." When the trio returned to the stage for the best country album Grammy, Emily Robison, another member of the group, added that the band had been in a "strange place to be sometimes, without a genre."

Go Chicks!