About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, October 01, 2010

Friday Night Lights: Fourth Season

And Also: Keith and Rachel, particularly the latter, tonight underlines that there is no reason why Democrats can't defend themselves this year. The opposition are repeatedly weak on the issues and personal actions. But, the Dems are goners. They are the Mets. Just go home.

I became a fan of FNL in the midst of the Fourth Season, catching the main abortion related episode, one that received a lot of kudos (particularly from the left). I saw an earlier Law & Order abortion related episode, one that tried to be so balanced that even killing an abortion doctor made the choice member of the team weak-kneed. My review was mixed; less so here: FNL put forth a powerful episode, one true to its characters.

And, the after effects were well handled too, though I did not like the finale of the story line (thus far) on Tami's end. Yes, I needed to watch more than one episode to get the full story, including stuff that happened before it. But, you had to watch many more episodes to get a sense of the other characters, finding about some who no longer are regulars on the show. Since Matt Saracen (away until the end of the season) and Tyra Collette (away) are two of my favorite characters, this was particularly important for me. Still, even in the second half of the Fourth Season, I caught Alicia Witt again, who I remember from years back in Cybil. Among other things. Oh, actors pages are different now at IMDB.

The wonders of Netflix allowed me to mow down the First Season at a quick pace, in part since I wanted to do so before my month charges ended. That is, instant access was provided. It was a great season. Oh look, the soundtrack is from that funny sounding name guy from West Wing. Both have an opening instrumental theme that is an extended burst of energy. I did not see the movie, though I saw Tyra first in a movie (Legion, where she plays seventeen pretty well, though she's about a decade older and has the height of a basketball player). It's on reserve though along with a soundtrack CD. I join with others in finding the second season as dubious. The third mostly went back on track, but like a comfortable third film, not quite as good as the better (and half as longer) first season.

Okay, so I saw the first half of the Fourth Season, the half that I did not see on television. [BTW, the series is being played now on ABC Family ... not quite Seventh Heaven material there.] I need to get the DVD of the First Season [ah!] but the third was pretty sad on extras. This is better -- there is commentary (though the second season had more) plus a good amount of extras (the IMDB page has plenty of clips and behind the scene stuff too). Now some movies go pretty crazy with that sort of thing, but I like some (a good commentary track does wonders for me too -- the first episode here had a pretty good one). And, the DVD is on Amazon for $22, which is pretty reasonable to boot.

Okay, so how was the episodes?! Pretty good. I really do like some of the first batch of characters (both teens and adults -- Tami is one of my top three and Buddy Garrity is a pretty fun character too) but the new bunch are pretty good too. My favorite is probably Becky, who I think a bit like a (now not quite, but kinda) trailer [they even have one for Tim to use] park version of Lyla. I say this because she has a determination about her along with a more sensitive side. Becky is younger and more needy, but is a strong character all the same. It's unfortunate that she is mostly absent in the last few episodes. [A bit less so than I thought with a second look.] As with older characters, a parent (Alicia Witt) also has a strong role.

It also is unfortunate that they didn't have more for Devin -- who we met the last season and find out that she is a lesbian -- to do. She has a certain low key nature about her with a self-assured core (most FNL girls/women are no nonsense deep down, don't mess with them!) that made her a good addition. [She reminds me of Sarah Vowell.] But, we saw more of Jess, Landry's new girlfriend, who has some issues with Vince -- the at risk new QB -- and her dad (who we saw before with his "you are a fool" attitude, one that sort of turns me off). Both are okay (the last new character is Luke, who impregnated Becky, taking in the destined for greatness athlete role of Smash, if with a different story), but would have rather saw more of Devin, personally.

The first half of the season provides some sense of continuity because Matt is still around. Count me in among those who feel for the guy. Poor thing. Great guy, too much shit too handle. Now, he decides to stay back home, largely for Julie (the season finale of the third season suggested it was for his grandmother), and deep down he hates it. And, then -- in a powerful episode -- he has to handle his father dying over in Iraq. I know he's a fictional character, but it was almost as hard for me to watch him "burn" (to quote Julie) as he tried to handle that as the characters on the show. Tim sticking around, Lyla coming back for a visit and so forth also served as a bridge to past episodes. Oh, sorry, the toddler looks sort of funny looking.

So, the first half of the season was in a way something of a continuation of the last. The new season truly came into stride with the episodes I saw on television: Becky needing to deal with her pregnancy, Vince was his new role as QB/his mom's drug problem/his past, Jess divided over Vince and Landry, the Becky/Tim dynamics (though that started earlier), Luke dealing with an injury, Tim and his brother breaking the law and so forth. The first half was more about Matt, Eric trying to get the team off the ground, Tami dealing with the new football team and a bit of Buddy fall out with his passion, the Dillon Panthers. There was some stuff with the new characters, as noted, but they didn't come to their own until later.

And, there was some good stuff and energy there. I still like these characters (Becky and at times Jess among the new ones are the ones I care about the most), care about them and their stories. The stories are good here as well though I wonder how the next season will be given Matt (and maybe others; Tyra and even Jason are due to at least drop by) won't be here to dominate some subplots. The actress who played Devin has said she will be back, so perhaps we will see more of her. I will have some more extras and other stuff to see. It does take some time to catch up on four seasons and a movie within a span of four month or so months.

Oh, "Tyra" and "Jess" are on two new shows, though the former already had the show canceled beneath her feet.