About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Pardon me ...




I'm not a big fan of giving money to beggars, but hated when the subway had signs telling us not to.  The name of the game is a gimmick beyond the pathetic whine approach.  There is a lot of creativity here, including various types of performers, which gets somewhat boring for regular travelers, but is actually appreciated by others.  The pathetic whine approach (I'm being a bit mean here) is not really as appreciated, particularly as you are trying to go about your business.  A person actually went inside a post office today with that approach, asking me for money while I was at the counter -- this was deemed a bit gauche by another customer, even though she was given money by at least one person. 


The issue has various implications, including (to cite a concern of this blog) First Amendment concerns.  Giving to beggars after all is a type of charity, charity being protected under the First Amendment.  Various time, place and manner issues also arise.  For instance, outside of a subway vs. inside a subway. This article covers some various issues.  Again, I don't like giving to beggars since it is somewhat of a crapshoot, though this after hearing someone warning another not to donate to a certain animal charity because it spends so little on the actual animals.  I say they use the money mostly for free gifts like cheap personalized calculators, but seriously, even if much of the money is going to overhead, the organization is still helping animals.  The use of the money given to a beggar is somewhat less shall we say on the books. I don't give to various things though, doesn't stop me from thinking that they have the right to ask. 

Beggars have always been with us and provide an in your face way to be reminded about various social problems.  I think it's protected speech and abusive begging can be targeted not by outlawing begging as such (which I think can only be pushed aside just so much anyway)  but the particular incidents.  There can be certain time, place and manner restrictions.  It would be more understandable, if barely enforceable, to restrict begging inside subway cars where no one can walk away.  Or, outside of certain places like ATMs.  The asking for money in public places is starting to be less annoying than certain phone solicitations.  At home. 

Back to the inspiration for this entry.  I do find it annoying when begging seems to be in "inappropriate" places, that is, places where I don't expect it to occur.  The subways and various Manhattan locations are expected. Certain places in my outer borough or well yeah, the post office, not so much. Relatively speaking, one can deal with it -- again, there are more annoying things in the scheme of things. I don't scream about begging after all, while I do want to scream about certain things in the news.  Still, there is a sort of expected realm where this thing is not done. For instance, I while reading on a bench, I do not want some asshole to come up and not take "no" for an answer, especially when I'm in causal clothes that don't exactly scream "this guy has money."  This occurred once and I laughed it off, but you can imagine there can be a bit of concern there. 

And, overall, the pathetic whine is like nails on a chalkboard. I don't like various types of whining overall, who does?  Sometimes, we might whine a bit ourselves. But, we are not really that proud of it, and sometimes annoy ourselves. So, we are consistent.  I'm not using the royal "we" here, by the way.  And, why not stand outside the post office?  It was nice today -- it is pretty amazing how nice it looks after Irene passed through.  Still, I guess -- pathetic whine voice aside -- you got to respect the chutzpah.  Why go the few blocks to the subway?  Ah, too easy and boring.  The bank actually might have a security guard.  The post office just has a couple people behind bullet proof glass.  And, people might have a bit of money ready.  Oh well.