About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Bell Jar


The fiction of Mary Boykin Chestnut, of Civil War diary fame, was hard going so I put it aside. Did finish The Bell Jar, using the version shown here (with "PS" author background material). Overall, I liked it. Smooth reading, some insights of the young characters' struggles etc. A bit sudden fall into madness after she comes home and the latter part of her confinement (when she was on the way to recovery) might have been fleshed out better. But, it's a deserved classic. Couldn't get into Sylvia movie, which I watched when it came out.

And Also: Mets Spring Training started today. Oscars tomorrow; haven't been interested in them for a few years. I used to be a regular viewer but also watch movies in theaters much less too. The Favourite being one I actually saw.