About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Not A Fan of Rep. Castro Tweeting Those Trump Donors

As noted here, even Citizens United supported disclosure laws (Doe v. Reed, involving a controversial referendum is even more on point). Disclosure is particularly about flags to deal with a form of legalized bribery but there are other reasons, including to see in general who is supporting a person or cause by means of large sums (my $5 for Gillibrand, e.g., is a lot less notable). When money is involved, however, there tends to be an overlap at any rate.

This response seems to flow to even mere Trump voters, but the people Rep. Castro (twin brother of the guy running for POTUS) listed big donors in his controversial tweet. As I said in comments in both places, I'm wary of this sort of thing. Searching a database is different than selecting some names and tweeting them. It is different when their member of Congress does it and in effect shames them for donating to Trump. I fear tit for tat. And, no, I'm wary of everyone knowing such and such bakery or whatever supports "x" candidate. At least on the level of tweets to so many people. I fear what it will do to their families and communities. I hope legislators don't make a habit of this though the good faith of the people who are complaining repeatedly are likely to leave something to be desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!