About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, February 14, 2021

New York News Update

And Also: February is short but it has its share of holidays from Groundhog's Day (six more weeks of winter), Presidents' Day (Schumer yesterday referenced the annual reading of a Washington address), Mardi Gras (2/16 this year) and Valentine's Day [not in that order].  I'm sentimental enough to generally be touched by references of love and like me a good Hallmark or Up TV romance. 

As we stress out, love might not be all we need, but love and all that stuff does help a lot.

I have community and political (including a conservative organization) offices near me, but as a whole, have never over the years spent much time at all over local politics. It is partially because it is rarely reported, though being represented by AOC and Biaggi (state senator) changes that on some level.

Even there, how much is my local area (though political insiders apparently label the guy as lousy, my city councilman is nearly never mentioned) mentioned? I'm glad that the second place winner, who worked in the term limited previous incumbent, is running again this year. Maybe, do a better job of selling yourself -- the race last time had multiple candidates, but the winner's campaign posters dominated the neighborhood. I only saw a few of the second place winner, who lost by only a few hundred votes.

I admit to not watching Bronx news (there is a station) or reading City & State, except when news alerts come up on certain writers' Twitter feeds. To be somewhat fair to myself, I doubt many around here do either. It is more a matter of the local papers (NY Daily News etc.). But, that only takes me off the hook somewhat -- it is not like, as compared to national news, I can spend hours a day really keeping track of these things.

Nor, is the effects to me personally -- though national things do have more national effects -- significantly different in various cases. Part of the reason is that my focus for much of the last two decades have been people I don't like, New York more low temperature there, even when Republicans had more power. This is partially a matter of my favored position (relatively speaking). And, it is not like there aren't grounds to be on notice. This was seen by news regarding Gov. Cuomo not being aboveboard regarding those dying in nursing homes during the Big V, though the exact range of wrongdoing is unclear. 

The mayor has also not been free from blemish. On that front, I simply don't know really if it was that he was bad or simply disappointing. From my limited attention, I lean toward the latter. I also found it stupid that he ran for president in 2020, one of the many also rans.  A New York mayor might in theory add something, but it seemed more of a vanity campaign that took his time away from doing his job.  Yes, the job I didn't pay much attention of him doing.  He's barred by term limits from running in 2021, which really doesn't seem problematic -- in principle, term limits are problematic, but really, eight years is enough for local positions like these. 

Andrew Cuomo did a good enough job to prevent any serious competition last time.  If he plans to run for a fourth term in 2022, I think that might change.  People might be ready to get rid of him, at least enough that Cynthia Nixon types won't be primary opposition (in both terms of the word).  Anyway, the immediate concern in a few months will be picking among the Democratic mayoral field, now the job of the voter to rank on their ballot.  Biaggi and company is rooting for Scott Springer. But, I'm leaning toward Maya Wiley (black woman activist with some connection to DeBlasio), especially since I want a person of color as mayor.  

Scott Springer probably would do a good job. The other options seem to be also rans, one or more I am sure are good people, if not anyone that one really expects will be mayor of New York next year.  To toss it out there, my assemblywoman wants to be Bronx borough president. So, I guess if that happens, I will have to worry about that slot. Maybe, the guy who quit that slot to for a more profitable  city council position will lose and run for it again!  

One more thing. In the last few months, I saw Morris Park Business Improvement tweets about a chance to get a box of fresh vegetables for filling out a questionnaire about my views on local businesses. Nice deal.  Local groups in that sense have done a few things that pop up -- for instance, there are colorful plantings along the main avenue. There is also -- don't know when it was drawn -- a bicycle lane there as well.  

The times make public events less likely, but I do wish more attention was given to promoting the local community. This could include periodic events where local government representatives will come and performances of locals etc.  I think I'm set in my ways for too long to suddenly spend much more time focusing on local matters, but this sort of thing is helped by others making it more inviting. I don't think there is enough around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!