About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Monday, August 30, 2021

Books and Movies

The slow and talky beginning of The Beast Must Die (a 1970s film with an interesting idea) defeated me. I shut off the Sven movie early. You can check Wikipedia for a spoiler. The Hallmark movie (Sweet Pecan Summer) was one of the pleasant ones (not great, but pleasant enough). Biggest surprise for some viewers might be an Asian lead (white male love interest). Her aunt looks/sounds familiar for a reason -- among other things, she was "Julie" on Friends.

Books: We Served the People: My Mother's Stories by Emei Burell was a good find on the free book shelf at the library. It is a graphic novel about her mom's life during the Cultural Revolution and beyond in China. And, it has a bit too much exposition (but the writing and story is good enough to make it okay), but Lady Derring Takes a Lover by Julie Anne Long is an enjoyable historical romance. There are so many. Now and then, I find one I like.

This grave post about Edith Hamilton reminded me I have her book on Greek mythology somewhere. Liked that. It also led me to check out her other works. But, didn't care for the style, trying more than one of the books. If you like it, and many did/do, go at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!