About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Monday, September 06, 2021

A Phone Story

Friday was one of those tedious things. In the morning, I tried to charge my phone. For some reason, it suddenly didn't work. The battery seems to burn more these days, but it's an old phone. Charging? Never had an issue. Suddenly it won't charge?

Okay. So, I go to a local authorized retailer via the website.  This is like a twenty minute walk away, but hey, good exercise and it's a nice day.  The big store is a T-Mobile, but there is a smaller one for my phone. The person just sells phones, but checks it, and suggests the problem is where you plug in the charger. I ask where I can have it checked. 

This confuses him for some reason. His tone suggests I am asking some strange question.  Rule to the wise: try not to make other people seem like they are idiots.  He could have simply checked the website or something.  He is listed as an authorized retailer for my phone. It was not a hard or strange question for me to ask. 

I check the website again, battery bleeding low, and then call the info number. It suggests I check an online test, texting me a link. When I do it on the phone, it says I should use another device to check online. Then, why did you suggest I do it? 

I trudge home and deal with the online agent, who seems to be on a delay, and is also not helpful except for clueing me in on a cheaper rate for my phone service. Not a total loss.

I do what I should have done originally and set up an appointment at a main store, though I need to take a bus there. I dealt with them before when for some reason I was sent an expensive item that I didn't order and they handled things professionally and solved the problem. 

Guy checks the phone and the problem is the charger cord. They don't sell that separately, so need to spend almost $40 on a new allegedly "high speed" [ETA: seemed quick the first time but since then seems about the same length to charge the thing, but otherwise works fine] charger. OTOH, I will work it off in about three months with the reduction on my phone bill.

With travel time and everything (including waiting for my appointment), I was able to get back and eat lunch in the middle of the afternoon. I figured that I deserved something good and turned out to eat too much when a small breakfast-like meal would have been better.  

End scene.  Life is filled with these little annoyances.  The aim is to actually try to accomplish something in the process and you know have other things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!