About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

She's On First

We recently had what seems like the first woman ref in a NFL game as well as an openly gay player (he even had a key role in the Raiders winning the Ravens game), but no woman players yet. I know of no woman MLB umps even and if the Mets ever have a ballgirl I'm sure Keith Hernandez (a bit behind the times) would have something to say. I would not be surprised if some trans person played at some point.

There were various fictional accounts (not speaking of when women had their own league), including a [decent] short lived television series. This book is from the 1980s (she also has a true story book on women playing baseball) and one charm is that there is a lot of baseball in it. It involves a women shortstop though of course there is some dramatic non-baseball material mixed in. I like the various points of view (owner, scout, reporter, player), but we only indirectly get the sense of her fellow players. That's unfortunate.

I have a charming book about a little leaguer pitcher who pitches a knuckleball. I also read a while back another book that had a woman ballplayer, but other than a bit about a guy being shot in the knees or something so he couldn't break a record, don't much at all of it. Anyway, I re-read this one and enjoyed it once more. My copy is an older version than the link.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!