About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving provides us with a time to reflect on our many blessings — from God, this Nation, and each other. We are grateful for these blessings, even — and especially — during times of challenge.
I continue to focus more on national matters, so will cite President Biden's Thanksgiving Proclamation. I continue to be thankful that he is in office. With all the imperfections, he brings sanity, decency, and some good policyI was not very supportive during the primary. And, that probably is fair -- it's okay to push for the person you like there, unless the net result will be bad. But, I was a bit too harsh probably. Well, 20/20 hindsight.

I should be more concerned with local stuff, but part of the reason I am not is that there is more reporting online regarding national stuff.  So, for years, I read the online magazine Slate and wrote on its "fray" comment board.  I'm sure there is important things locally though my particular middle class area, which seems almost the "suburbs" though its the Bronx, seems fairly boring. Still, even here, not too long ago a bike path was drawn in on the main street near me.  Not that I ride any more.  

Anyway, it is Thanksgiving again.  I noted at dinner that I was thankful for my sister's websites, for which I contribute content.  Another one is pending too.  The apple crumb, maybe dutch apple crumb, cake I bought at a local bakery went down well.  As usual, she made a great dinner. And, the family part of the holiday -- always key -- is especially added by young Austin, Connect 4 expert, going on four himself.  

The dinner also shows that you can enjoy vegan content, the non-turkey / animal related content fine.  I'm not sure the apple crumb is vegan, but it is at least vegetarian.  Mushrooms, stuffing, bread, mashed potatoes, etc.  On the football front, the Bills had their quite needed victory, Detroit lost again (well they did have that one non-loss/tie), and Las Vegas upset Dallas.   

The day before I went to get my J&J booster.  I scheduled it this week and could have done it earlier (even working around a dentist appointment).  The website provides a lot of options, both time and location-wise.  I went to a place in Harlem, since it is convenient to the IRT train near me.  I say "J&J" but could have received another one.  

That's just what I got last time, without issue, so decided to get it again.  It seems less popular and at first it looked like I might not be able to get it.  Something about it not being in the system.  But, at least for now, it was available.  Quick shot and wait for fifteen minutes to see if there are any issues.  None.  I think I had a bit of a side effect -- felt a bit out of sorts later on, nothing too much, but somewhat so especially early the next morning -- but glad I got it over with. 

The whole Big V thing is rather something, huh?  That includes how vaccines were developed so fast.  It still is with us, including mask rules.  We probably still have things to learn about it -- it might seem forever, but COVID19 (recall some form of COVID occurred earlier too) is just that -- from 2019.  2021 seems to be going quickly, but it is still not even two years from when things shut down in March 2020.  

Things personally and for the country still are iffy, but yes, I am thankful for various things.  Politically, I realize, for some it is sometimes hard to see that.  Like it looks like someone certain Republicans targeted in horrible way, a Biden nominee, will be blocked by a few "moderate" Democrats.  Not just you know the two usual suspects.  If so, that's just bad.  But, some of the responses are just annoying kneejerk. 

(I can link to what exactly what I'm talking about, but I won't, since I want to be general here.  And, the nominee is not for a trivial position, but the position isn't THAT important either.  So, I won't.)

The longer one lives, though I have tried to be balanced ("but" and related words are like my favorite blog terms) for the long haul, the more you have to see that things are pretty complicated.  There is a lot of bullshit there.  Damn there is.  It is getting to me too.  But, it is not all bullshit.

And, for that, yes, I'm thankful.  Now for Christmas season. Hanukkah first, but the First Lady has already accepted the White House tree, which for some reason was brought in by a horse dragged carriage. Old timey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!