About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, January 14, 2022

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

This book will be discussed in much more detail eventually on the book review website, but see this review for an overview now. Not being an expert, I will be agnostic about the historical criticism there. As with my analysis of court matters here, I will respect my limits, while noting that on some subjects, I do have more knowledge than the average civilian. (I do have a BA in History and apparently retained something from it, after all.)

I had not read much about the subject matter and found the book overall well written and interesting. A bit too pro-Mongols and at a few points the historical details were a bit hazy (including stuff about India; and a major defeat was to me deserved more detail). But, especially as an opener, it is a good way to look at the topic, including with new eyes.

As an aside, this year is not starting off that well in various respects. Other than it having three twos, not sure one expects much more out of it. Still, hopefully, I will get into a 2022 gear and something useful will be made out of it. 2021 was in various ways a holding action though I think as a nation we got some things accomplished, especially basic sanity political-control wise. After yesterday, for now, let us still recognize we have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!