About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Books

I re-read Beating Hearts: Abortion and Animal Rights, which I talked about in the past. Like the co-author's Q&A book on veganism, I was not totally satisfied with it. A cow has various experiences that show it is worthy of life. But, what exactly does a twenty-week fetus have even if it somehow feels pain? Nonetheless, overall, I think it usefully discusses various things. Might be on the other book review website in March.

She Kills Me: The True Stories of History's Deadliest Women is a collection of short accounts about female murderers. Not an in depth book, but an interesting bunch of snapshots, many of whom I read about first here. A somewhat rare case of footnote sourcing.

Bookstores in general are on the decline. But, there was never in recent memory bookstores in the Bronx much at all. For a long time, there was a small store in Riverdale. Then, there was a Barnes and Nobles in Co-Op City. But, for an area so large, should there not be more? So, it was great The Lit Bar, a small independent book store opened in 2019. I took a book lover there yesterday and it is conveniently accessible by bus and train.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!