About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Pura M. De Jesus-Coniglio and Other Stuff

Looking, Pura DeJesus-Coniglio's Twitter profile comes up on a Google search, cited as "Rev. Pura M. De Jesus-Coniglio, Esq. is a ministry leader, Chaplain, and an attorney at law. She has appeared in various radio & TV programs and is an" (cuts off).

The handout by someone collecting signatures for her to be on the Republican ballot (primary in June) to seek to challenge AOC in November (prime platform!) says she is a "lawyer / small business owner / community servant."  I see in 2009 she published a book entitled "THE BRONX: Exposing its True DNA & Breaking The Stigma," that is cited as 352 pages long.  Impressive, I guess. 

I never heard of her. Sadly, I could not sign the petition (the woman who asked me looked like an older black woman; I saw a middle aged white woman who seemed more familiar to my neighborhood outside the supermarket, but not sure if it was for the same candidate)  since I am not a registered Republican.  I am wary about too many people overwhelming ballots, but generally am open for people to be on ballots.   I asked the person and she cited around three or four people running.  

It's sad that I cannot help in this fashion to get someone on the ballot who rails against the Biden Administration "using the working class and middle class families in this country as their indentured servants."  That seems wrong.  I'm all for infrastructure, though think AOC and the Democrats supported doing more to pay for repair than Republicans. 

I passed by the person yesterday, it being in the 60s or so and nice weather to go out and read somewhere.  A few years ago, I also was asked to sign a petition against revising the New York state constitution, some people worried it would be anti-worker or something.  I actually supported at least meeting to see what needed revision after all this time (the people are get to say "yea" or "nea" to that every twenty years or something), but it failed.

One thing I noted was that this sewer grate still was open.  It looks like a rim or something came off for some reason.  It is near a bus stop, if not someplace as likely to be step in or something.  There is a parking strip nearby.  All the same, I don't think it is supposed to be open, it invites people to toss in trash, and there is a slight possibility of injury.   

By coincidence, it is not too far from the proposed street naming that I referenced earlier this month. I passed a couple photos along via email to my city councilwoman, whose office thanked me by email shortly after it was sent late Friday afternoon.  I also asked AOC to looked into something for me personally and will see if anything comes from it.

I think I'll vote for her either way.  (I'm being sarcastic here, being a big supporter, if by some rare chance anyone is confused here.)  


I talked about Petticoat Junction last week and the first episode on early this morning was a good one.  It was a fun mixture of humor and sentiment. 

Betty Jo 's choice of a "perfect house" for her and Steve that turns out to be a tad run down.  But, you can see and appreciate her dreams.  There are some amusing character driven humorous bits.  And, it ends with them singing a love song, music more of a thing in later seasons.  

===

The first televised Mets Spring Training game is on tomorrow.   This is apt since it is also the first day of spring.  

Today is St. Joseph's Day,  Joseph being the patron saint of Italians. There was an op-ed against The Godfather, argued to have (along with other mafia movies) to have put Italians in a bad light.  I question this.  I'm inclined to think -- like the gangsters cited here -- that it also had a net positive view of the Mafia.  OTOH, that to me is not a good thing.  

People get all poetic, but bottom line, the Mafia are often people rooted for in these movies.  It might be fairly clear (to some) that they are bad actors. Even so, they are "characters," and we aren't watching this merely to see the battle of good over evil or something.  It glorifies mobsters.  

Wikipedia says Kiss Me, Guido was somehow filmed in my area, but the only thing referenced is the Italian area of the Bronx known as Belmont.  One church looks familiar, but otherwise, don't see my neighborhood. The movie itself was an amusing clash of cultures (gay and Italian) with some decent acting and writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!