About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Charlotte Salomon

One thing I like to do is to read reviews and saw a review of a new animated film (Charlotte), which is about the German Jewish painter Charlotte Salomon, who was murdered (let's use the right word) in the Holocaust. I was not aware of this woman, but she has an interesting story. And, a sort of family tradition of suicide, multiple family members doing so.

Charlotte eventually sought refugee in France though eventually full German control of the country led to her death. Her father and stepmother sought refugee in Holland, but eventually were able to survive the war in hiding. Her French connection suggests why a French author and screenwriter to find her fascinating.

He eventually wrote a sorta biography (largely based on her magnum opus) of which I read an English translation. I liked it; it was almost written like a poem. I tried to find some other things in the library, but the books were limited (a collection of artists) or an academic essay collection. I did see other books online. I did not see the animated biopic yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!