About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, July 31, 2022

August Primary In NY

I recently received a piece of campaign advertising from Miguelina Camilo, who is running for the newly created state senate seat covering my residence. I won't be covered by the district now represented by Sen. Biaggi (though before the lawsuit, looks like this was the seat MC was running for) and she's running for the House of Representatives (she can't run for both at the same time).

The Bronx Democratic Party and various other familiar names, like my former councilman, are endorsing her. The person who currently represents a chunk of the area now is running, but they decided not to shift their endorsement. He seems a good guy, with various strong social justice beliefs. Gustavo Rivera has been in the state senate for about twelve years.

The Camilo campaign letter basically let me know she supported general liberal causes and that she is an immigrant.  I'm inclined to support her since she has the basics, I like women and immigrant representation, and Rivera was there for twelve years -- some change is nice.  And, the local endorsements she received suggests she is decent enough.  

OTOH, the campaign letter said I asked for an absentee ballot.  I did not (I did in the past when COVD first came).  It looks like Rivera is flagging any limited red flags, like an "endorsement" of a member of the dastardly (Biaggi defeated the leader) IDC.  Articles also use things like "cautious stance" that suggest she is trying to be a smidge less liberal than Rivera. 

I checked the discussion on the first thing and it does not really seem to be very notable, especially since she is a political newcomer who at the time had limited power (a $200 campaign donation doesn't tell me much).  And, it looks like Rivera himself had a little slip-up.  But, then again, Biaggi did endorse him.  I can understand, given his past actions.

I'm a bit torn on who to vote for.  It also seems to be the only thing I will have to worry about in the August primary, since it looks like the House seat won't be a contested Democratic primary.  Yet again, why couldn't New York combine the two primaries, and just have both in August?

Anyway, a two person race is not one that will be split many ways. Biaggi's BFF, however, is in such a race.  So, this argument that House seats should be majority wins (not plurality) applies there.  And, I agree this is an important thing, one that can be done by some sort of instant run-off system.  

Why should a race that can effectively be the one to decide a House seat (especially for special elections where it is one and done) be decided by under 40% of the already small electorate? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!