About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, September 30, 2022

Miss Iceland (and ERA)

I saw Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir's latest book (a few years old) Miss Iceland referenced in the New York Times. 

Checking it out, I see she wrote Hotel Silence, and I vaguely recall reading that as well. I thought the other book okay. From what I can remember, it probably was better than the well reviewed Miss Iceland book. The basic style might be the same (I''m reading it in translation), but recall there being more plot to grasp on to in the other book. The main character might not have been in firm control of his life, but it wasn't so depressingly tired. Even if this is the intent, it is not great pleasure reading.

The book involves a young Icelandic woman in the early 1960s, who leaves her family to try to start on her own as a writer.  She is around 21, and a few stories and poems were published.  She has a woman friend with a young child and largely absent husband as well as a gay friend who struggles with his sexuality.  She eventually falls into a relationship with a guy.  The last forty or so pages involves her abroad in Denmark (I guess) with her friend, this time we have a few letters back/forth.   

When she first comes into town at the opening of the book, a promoter of the Miss Iceland beauty contest tries to convince her to take part. She apparently is very pretty though rather not flaunt it, preferring pants.  She turns him down, but the title seems more of a metaphor.  The cover seems to leave open the idea she would join eventually to have money or something to get out of Iceland. That doesn't happen. 

My overall complaint here is (is this intentional?) she seems to be basically floating through the book with all of the main characters fairly unexciting to read about.  None are bad or anything, though bad forces might threaten one or more.  But, they are all so bland, fatalistic, or otherwise blah.  

The book is readable enough and it is good in a way to have a flavor of another culture and its authors.  I just rather the characters, including the main character, be more pleasant and interesting company.  

===

I saw this article, which I have dealt with in the past. I won't repeat myself except to note the ERA does more than expressly ban sex discrimination. It does so in stronger language that in part gives Congress a stronger hand to legislate.  I agree that the Barrett Court very well might apply it narrowly though not sure if the effect would be meaningless. LONG TERM, it might matter.  Short term? I agree it is sideshow. And, most seem to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!