About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Odds and Ends

The author JK Rowling has had her reputation downgraded after some anti-trans remarks.  But, this does not erase her skills as a writer.  This still included me being able to read more than one of her Cormoran Strike mysteries, especially since we are talking a lot of pages. Too many, but again, interesting enough for me to keep reading.  Not a bad recommendation.

[I checked and I don't recall reading the fourth book.  Did I? I might have. The third book ends on another nice note -- the books have a lot of depressing stuff but some nice moments showing the bond between the two leads -- at Robin's wedding.]

I stopped at three, partially because of her comments, partially since I didn't like what she did with the Robin character, and partially since the books got even LONGER.  A mystery book nearly 1000 pages long is ridiculous.  I did happen to see the television version of the fifth novel while flipping thru the channels.  I have watched the episodes available.  Fairly enjoyable. 

Last weekend, I also finished up on the first four episodes of The Way Home, a new Hallmark Channel series with a time travel (back to 1999) subplot.  I liked the episodes, including a chance for three generations of women (Andie McDowell plays the grandmother and the mother also has been in a few things) as well as a guy friend of the mother (the father is seen less) to have some good moments. 

I'm wary about what will happen now with both the mother and daughter traveling back thru time.  There is a mystery about a disappearing little boy.  How will time travel play there?  We already have a hint about "rules" such as the time-traveling portal sending her back to different times, spaced out, for whatever reason.  More rules to come? 

John Oliver is back (10th season) and talked about the potential of psychedelic drugs in therapy.  I also saw Orchid Muse in the library.  I did not find it interesting enough to read thru, but there were some interesting tidbits (Raymond Burr was gay, huh?) and some nice pictures.  How about this of an Orchid Cabinet?

I was going to wait to give blood but kept on getting requests, there being another blood shortage.  I "universal donor" (O-) blood too.  They got me on a tease: some "special" gift if I went today.  We were not told what it was.  It turned out to be a t-shirt, which is fine since I wanted another t-shirt with more than one of mine starting to get worn out.  There were also hats and some third item.  Plus, free juice, snacks, and helping others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!