About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sunday Odds and Ends

Ischia Bravo ran for city council (NYC) but did not win. I was given a colorful campaign card because at the time the early voting location near me was in her desired district (I assume).  A small version of this:

She has become the first Latina Bronx city clerk.  Sounds like she has a good sense of what is involved:

“People come to the get passports, naturalization paperwork, applying to be a notary, getting documents, notarized records,” said Bravo. “It creates awareness around participation.”

I went there myself to get my notary certification renewed. I did send a money order earlier but it got lost in the mail.  Charming.  

===

Film/TV

The Academy Awards are on now.  I checked the nominees and basically have no desire to watch any of the films.  

The Hallmark Channel movie starred a familiar face (Kimberley Sustad) but did not recognize the others.  Game of Love is about two game creators tasked to develop a game about love.  I liked it.  These things for me often are about pace and I liked how things were handled.  Actors were also good. 

The necessary complication felt a bit tacked on (and came late) but we got past it fast.  I can do without it -- oh look, she has moved on to someone who trusts her team but now second guesses herself & has an emotional moment -- but I assume it's in some "how to write a Hallmark movie" that such a scene has to be in there somehow.  It was relatively painless here.

I also saw another episode of East New York.  I saw a few episodes and found it pretty good.  Multiple familiar faces among the regulars and guest stars.  Oh look, it's the guy from Gilmore Girls and tonight we had Debi Mazar.  Nothing profound, but even time-passing series are something for me these days.  I still like The Way Home as well.  

===

"Spring forward" started at 2 A.M. today so it's really an hour earlier.  The whole thing seems a bit stupid.  But, with it the rules for so long, that's something you say, it happens, and you move on.  If ends, though, doubt it will matter much.  

===

Baseball

It is also time for the World Baseball Classic, the true "world series" of baseball.  The rules for national teams are somewhat loose but we still have a lot of minor league type players on a lot of teams.  Still, they sometimes play each other, and there is enough talent for some good games.  

I think the WBC is a good idea.  We have a Nicaragua team today playing an Israeli team.  Team Italy advanced to the second round.  Only caught some of the game, but something different. 

Baseball is promoted worldwide.  Somewhat related, the new schedule has teams play each other interleague.  All of them, not just one division (AL East, etc.)  each season.  The loss to divisional play isn't much -- sounds like four fewer games for each team.  No DH, players moving around, limited interleague play ... well, why not go all the way?  

The time rules are not in the WBC and I don't really see much difference. Maybe, they will help.  The countdown clock is a bit annoying.  Makes things feel rushed.  One thing that came to mind there was the throws over the first.  They are cut down.  They actually can get annoying. Even so. How often is that really a thing?  Oh well. Let's see how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!