About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Where is that Josie Meets Deathstalker Mash-up?

I first saw Josie and the Pussycats back in the 1980s, unless it played in the background when I was a baby or something. I could have seen it before then, but I don't recall. I saw both the original and the "in space" versions.  

I did not realize there were so few episodes (16 of each).  I got the DVD of the complete first season (no extras).  Am starting to watch the episodes and find them amusing in various respects. Melody is a goofball (have a thing for lovable goofballs) and there is some charm to using the closed captioning when it tells me such things as "angry plant talk."

(The theme song is pretty good and detailed though the animation doesn't do a great job making it look like they are singing and playing instruments.)

I saw the movie version some time back.  It was okay though Alexandra didn't have much to do.  I also bought a "best of" comics collection a few years ago and it's a good summary of the various plotlines.  I did not read the comics myself in the past and rarely read comics generally.  

I see various films in my review books that sound good, but many are not available on DVD at the library or on television. Luckily, the first three Deathstalker films (not high art) actually are at the library, the third (Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell) a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode version.  

The film was ridiculous but amusingly bad with some good quips from that show, which I again have not really seen.  One amusing thing about the film is that the princess is played by Carla Sands (she has a bath scene which seems like it might be a chance for T&A but not in this version), who later went into business and was a Trump appointee!  

The DVD had an extra (interview with the villain). I will soon see at least the second one (apparently the best one, perhaps with more T&A, since it purposely tries to spoof its genre somewhat).  

Bonus: Sincerely, Yours, Truly was rerun on Up TV this morning.  Two office space mates competing for a grant (and who are falling for each other in person) are also communicating with each other anonymously.  

You are just waiting for the uncomfortable reveal, but the movie manages to avoid doing this for much of the running time as the story goes along (various things are happening) in a pleasant way.  And, yes, the female lead is just so darn cute.  

Some of the music is a tad annoying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!