About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The single issue voter

In my recent comments on President Obama's treatment of medicinal marijuana, I referenced a blog post where I first saw the Rolling Stones article on the subject as well as certain comments in particular. This includes those that to me seemed more visceral than a rational look at events, including belittling what Obama did in respect to gays.* I find that sort of thing annoying, but should be somewhat more philosophical about the state of mind expressed by such comments. Perhaps, for Lent, I will try to take a breath and do more observing.

Also, someone bothered me because (other than also wrongly diminishing Obama's overall actions) of what I saw as a myopic view arising from personal experience with those helped by medicinal marijuana. One person in apparent response to my comments spoke of "partisans" who miss "deal breakers," referencing a "pro-life" Democratic candidate. I guess he did not mean Sen. Casey, who underlines that no one issue should decide an election by its lonesome, especially in comparison to candidates like Rick Santorum. If you live in a safe state or district, perhaps, but overall, as I noted, even if Obama's position (at least after 2010 -- the thread mostly ignored the article on that point; standard case of not addressing hard questions) here is wrong, the very same people you care about will be helped in some other fashion.

And, politics like religion should not be just about you. I was said to be deluded or holier than thou on this point, but it's true. And, those who really care about these issues realize the fact, sometimes "holding their nose" because they know the alternative is worse. Public policy affects a lot of people. If your single issue dominates, screwing other people (I think it was at least partially b.s. anyways -- even if the person voted for Obama in '08, the belittling of him overall did not suggest a person much sympathetic as if this was the "tipping point") by helping to support bad public policy (again, even "me and mine" cares about more than one thing) is selfish. We as a society are supposed to not be just for our own interests. I find it easier to be less selfish because it is actually in the long run also beneficial.

Some disagree. They have a myopic vision and to me it is pretty sad. And, leads to bad results for "me and mine." And yours.

---

* The theme of this discussion is the same with some other candidate, some other issue, but I do find a disconnect at times for those who imply I'm some sort of "Obama lover," when I find him too moderate on various issues ... I don't "love" him, but do realize his moderation is not just some sort of reprehensible hypocrisy, the sentiment of some. 

As to being some sort of "partisan," if that means some basic respect for the coalition known as the Democratic Party or some other organization, realizing that I am not merely some lone actor standing in the ether, fine, but that is also rather misleading.  I feel more comfortable reflecting that I have been targeted from both sides, the sign of valor of my sort.