About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Thomas Thrives in A Friendly Setting Again

The importance of having Republicans on Maddow (and vice versa)  is to see the other side aren't aliens. I wish he would speak at oral arguments.  He has a p.o.v. and isolating himself is unhelpful.

Good to hear he isn't big on hunting (suggests it would be interesting if they arm the animals).  The Flagrant Conduct book also comes to mind.  Justice Breyer at one point in the argument asked the state to give a "straight answer" to a question and this received a laugh.  The author, who was there, noted that Breyer didn't know why they were laughing; Justice Thomas had to explain it to him.  Breyer said "oh."

I did not read Thomas' autobiography and have no real incentive to do so.  My impression is that Thomas is a complex individual with a troubled biography in various ways.  His life story has a lot of impressive stuff in it though I think he misses some things and is wrong about some too.  Very wrong in some cases. And, I rather someone else was nominated, even if a conservative had to be chosen.  Nonetheless, I reject those who just want to caricature him as this horrible person or a brainless sort who just follows Scalia.  Patently unfair.

Life is too complicated for that sort of thing.  I can strongly disagree with people without missing their complexities and good points.  It is partially why I am upset he isolates himself as much as he does.  The isolation is not surprising really and whatever it takes to make his life a success.  There is value after all about just being a justice. "Isolation" can be exaggerated, since he does do a lot of these events.  And, he comes off as a friendly sort of person, if a bit shy and reserved.  Someone who might be wrong about some things, but not an "other" you can simply dismiss.

I strongly oppose certain things and people but that sort of thing is a bridge too far for me.  Fairness applies to all.

[I read about The Wise Kids after writing this and it seems like just the sort of film we need about  religious faith that after all guides the lives of large chunks of people in many areas.  The same applies to Higher Ground, which for some reason is taking a long time to get to my library.  Meanwhile, I'm watching various other DVDs that come in.  In other words, films that show some that those religious sorts aren't all stereotypes, but complex people that make life as interesting and aggravating as it tends to be.]