About Me

My photo
This blog is the work of an educated civilian, not of an expert in the fields discussed.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Chasing Lolita How Popular Culture Corrupted Nabokov's Little Girl All Over Again

This was originally released tied to the fiftieth anniversary of the U.S. publication of the original and is an interesting discussion of the book and its place in our culture. I found it because the author of an account of a real life kidnapping of a teenage girl referenced in Lolita was recently on C-SPAN. Read the novel years back and recall it was good, one of a few classics that I enjoyed. I saw a bit of the first movie and think I saw the second; will re-watch it. Meanwhile, Runaway Romance was overall a nice trifle. Ending a tad abrupt.

And Also: One reference in this book is Pretty Baby, the Brooke Shields movie that takes place in a brothel. I watched most of it and it is very good. Remarkable performance from a young Shields, including let's say much more nudity than in her teen island fantasy film. I later saw some of Baby Doll (good iconic shot of her in a baby crib) and it was good though think you got the general feel after an hour. Or, maybe I lose patience these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your .02!